Saturday, March 3, 2012

Week 5


For about a month now I've been working on a few self portraits for a little assignment. Before this I haven't been patient enough to try this type of photography but I think I found something else to like.

About a week ago I went into my grandmother's room to look around and think about what I should do for my project. I seem to shoot better when I have the emotions to work with and on this day I had just that.


Self portraits aren't just close up shots of a naked body or a metaphor for what you see yourself as. I've realized that in order to capture myself I have to be myself in front of the camera. I let myself feel what I was feeling that day and went with it.


My family has always been very supportive of me and my photos. Mom and Dad bought my first camera and told me to start doing what I loved. I shouldn't be worried about a career that will make me the most money, I should put everything I have into what will make me happy.

My grandmother was also a huge support to whatever it was that I was interested in. She was a smart, successful woman and I have great respect for her. If it wasn't for her I wouldn't be where I am today. I have seen things and been places because of her. I also have done things and held myself to a certain standard because of her. You cannot be anything but the best person you're capable of being when you are the granddaughter of Katie Watson. She was a beautiful, kind hearted woman and I will be lucky if I am anything like her. It has been five days since she has passed now and it's an understatement to say she is and will always be missed. I love her very much and can't wait to see her again, fully healed and ready to have some fun.


To Mamma Kay.

No comments:

Post a Comment